Saturday, October 31, 2009

Caramel Apples

I wanted to make caramel apples to take to DH's family Halloween Dinner. Yes, we have a family celebration- we have been for as long as I have known my husband. After everyone is done trick or treating we head to his aunts house in Marengo and have soup and lots of junk food. I usually bring my fall mix - candy corn, M&Ms, raisins, and salted peanuts. But, I have not made caramel apples in years, like since before I had the boys. So, thought I would try them out again.These were the first round from last night. Thought everything was going great - the caramel tasted and looked good. So I dipped all of them, then dipped them in mini chocolate chips. Look ok, right? Not so much! I must have cooked the caramel toooooo long because it turned hard - toffee hard!! So, I hated to do it but I threw them out! I hate when baking or cooking goes bad and you have to do that. What a waste! So, for my second round I went back to the store and bought more apples. This time I bought the BIG braeburn (on request from DH) and the BIG granny smith (my all time fave) and started all over again...
I am not sure how the extended family will react to the twigs for the 'skewers' but I completely forgot to pick up real skewers or popsicle sticks at Walmart/Hobby Lobby when I was in Iowa City on Wednesday night. I am pretty sure that I have seen Martha used twigs, so surely it is completely acceptable. :-)
Again, I dipped the bottoms in mini chocolate ships and I tried to drizzle the white chocolate...but has anyone really drizzled chocolate? I feel like I am throwing it! Maybe I buy the wrong chocolate and it is too thick because I certainly cannot DRIZZLE it. It ends up allover my kitchen because I end up throwing it! I use Hershey white chocolate chips. I could used almond bark, but I LOVE the Hershey white chips. I have been known to eat an entire bag by myself!




SUCCESS -- the caramel was not as hard this time.
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!



1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I am so glad you are back! Come by when you get a chance. I have a blog award for you! Have a lovely week!!
Blessings,
Rebecca

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...